Deadlock of REINDEX and SELECT queries in PostgresSQL 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tendulker, Shivanand G Prabhu (SSTL)
Subject Deadlock of REINDEX and SELECT queries in PostgresSQL 7.4
Date
Re: Deadlock of REINDEX and SELECT queries in PostgresSQL 7.4  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

Hello

We are facing a deadlock kind of issue in PostgresSQL 7.4

We have 2 databases with 3 tables each. DB contains about 250 records. We observed deadlock when 2 different clients are performing REINDEX and SELECT start their operations near simultaneously.

Client 1  performs following operations in a tight loop:-

VACCUM, ANALYZE of each table, REINDEX of each table’

Client 2 performs SELECT in one of the table in a tight loop.

Upon looking at the postgres locks, it seems like all the locks are granted to ‘REINDEX’ operation and SELECT is waiting. REINDEX never returns in this scenario. This problem occurs when Client1  and Client 2 are running simultaneously. Both in a tight loop. Once this deadlock is reached all the subsequent SELECT, RENDEX operations go into ‘waiting’ mode.

Is this a known issue? Is the REINDEX and SELECT transactions directed at postgres at same time  not a valid combination?

Please provide help in resolving this issue.

Thanks and Regards

Shiv