Re: development setup and libdir - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James William Pye
Subject Re: development setup and libdir
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 30, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>> For development purposes you would be far better off building a
>> private version of postgres (with configure --prefix=/path) and
>> using its pgxs to build, install and test your module.
>
> That's pretty expensive.

eh:

jwp@torch[]:org/postgresql/git 0% ls /src/build
pg        pg-nodb-plpy    pg81        pg83        pg85        pg_foreach    py        py31-nodb
pg-nodb        pg80        pg82        pg84        pg90        pgweb        py31

The tricky part is that they tend to multiply. ;)

> Requiring I compile a private version of postgres[1]
> increase the cost of development unreasonably,

That install of PG that you're using will *probably not* have debugging information.

Now, granted, you might not need PG with debugging for some problems, but chances are that you'll come across one (or
twoor fifty or so) where you *will* need it.

I'd suggest using a private install for dev as well. Enable debugging and casserts, and make sure your ulimit's allow
coredumps.

I'm not sure if pgxs can do what you want or not, but using a private prefix works well enough for me.