Re: Why will vacuum not end? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shea,Dan [CIS]
Subject Re: Why will vacuum not end?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Manfred is indicating the reason it is taking so long is due to the number
of dead tuples in my index and the vacuum_mem setting.
The last delete that I did before starting a vacuum had 219,177,133
deletions.
Dan.
>Dan,

>> Josh, how long should a vacuum take on a 87 GB table with a 39 GB index?

>Depends:
>-- What's your disk support?

>-- VACUUM, VACUUM ANALYZE, or VACUUM FULL?
VACUUM ANALYZE
>-- What's your vacuum_mem setting?
set vacuum_mem = '196608'
#fsync = true                   # turns forced synchronization on or off
#wal_sync_method = fsync
>-- What are checkpoint and wal settings?
wal_buffers = 64
checkpoint_segments = 30
checkpoint_timeout = 300

>> I see alot of activity with transaction logs being recycled (15 to 30
every
>> 3 to 20 minutes).
>> Is the vacuum causing this?

>Probably, yes.   How many checkpoint_buffers do you allow?
I am not sure what the checkpoint_buffers are, we are running 7.4.0?