Re: Deleting certain duplicates - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shea,Dan [CIS]
Subject Re: Deleting certain duplicates
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks Mallah,
I will keep this example in case I need it again sometime in the future.
Unfortunately, I do not have enough free space at the moment to create a
temp table.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah [mailto:mallah@trade-india.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 10:27 AM
To: Shea,Dan [CIS]
Cc: Postgres Performance
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Deleting certain duplicates

Shea,Dan [CIS] wrote:

>The index is
>    "forecastelement_rwv_idx" btree (region_id, wx_element, valid_time)

its more of an sql question though.

to deduplicate on basis of

version,origin,timezone,region_id,wx_element,value,flag,units,valid_time,
issue_time,next_forecast

You could do this.

begin work;
create temp_table as select distinct on
(version,origin,timezone,region_id,wx_element,value,flag,units,valid_time,
issue_time,next_forecast) * from forecastelement ;
truncate table forecastelement ;
drop index <index on forecastelement >  ;
insert into forecastelement  select * from temp_table ;
commit;
create indexes
Analyze forecastelement ;

note that distinct on will keep only one row out of all rows having
distinct values
of the specified columns. kindly go thru the distinct on manual before
trying
the queries.

regds
mallah.