Re: Let's stop with the retail rebuilds of src/port/ files already - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Let's stop with the retail rebuilds of src/port/ files already
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On September 26, 2018 9:03:05 PM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
>> On 2018-09-26 19:10:40 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I'm getting tired of having to make fixes like ce4887bd0.  I think
>>> we should rearrange things so that src/port/ and src/common/ compile
>>> all their files a third time using shared-library-friendly switches,
>>> put them into new .a files, and have libpq and the ecpg libraries
>>> just include those libraries instead of what they're doing now.
>
>> +1
>
>Here's a partial patch for that: it adds the third build variant
>to src/port/ and teaches libpq to use it.  We'd want to likewise
>modify src/common/ and fix up other callers such as ecpg, but this
>seems to be enough to test whether the idea works or not.
>
>I've tried this on Linux, macOS and HPUX and it seems to work in
>those cases, but I'm not foolish enough to imagine that that's
>exhaustive.
>
>What I think would make sense is to push this and see what the
>buildfarm thinks of it.  If there are unfixable problems then
>we won't have wasted time fleshing out the concept.  Otherwise,
>I'll do the remaining pieces.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Medium-long term I think we should consider trying to reduce the duplication tho.  Once we provide an elog and error
handlingwrapper, we really should be able to reduce duplication (code and build) a fair bit.  But that should be
tackledseparately.

Andres