Re: check (constraint) on point data type? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: check (constraint) on point data type?
Date
List pgsql-novice
[Please don't top post as it makes the discussion more difficult to
follow.]

On Jul 24, 2007, at 16:10 , Jim Nasby wrote:

> What's wrong with (NOT location <@ box '((0,0),(1,1))') ?

Two reasons I didn't provide that answer:

1)

On Jul 24, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> I haven't looked at the geometric functions closely enough to see
> if you could use some of those rather than defining your own
> helper, but this should work.

2) I misread the specs and assumed that 0 and 1 values for x and y
were to be rejected. I suspected that the geometric functions were
inclusive rather than exclusive, which, upon experimentation, was
correct. Right answer to the wrong specs :)

# select not '(0,0)'::point <@ '((0,0),(1,1))'::box;
?column?
(1 row)

Michael Glaesemann