Re: Use of partial index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dmitri Bichko
Subject Re: Use of partial index
Date
List pgsql-sql
As I understand it, partial indices are generally useful when you only
want to index a range of values, or if the select condition is on a
different field from the one being indexed (eg: ON foo (a) WHERE b IS
NOT NULL).

I am just guessing here, but it sounds like 'person_fk = 2' is going to
be a lot more selective (ie return less rows) than 'tag_type_fk = 2', so
it's quicker to use the pkey and then filter the results.

Depending on how many 'tag_type' values you have, indexing on it will
not help at all.  In other words, if more than a few percent of the rows
have the value '2' for 'tag_type_fg', postgres will tend to favour more
selective indices if you are doing a join, or a seqscan if you are doing
a straight select on that value.

Does that help?
Dmitri
PS Your query seems to be quite quick already, why don't you like this
plan?

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidentialand/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
actionin reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
receivedthis in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer