Re: Storing data and indexes in different disks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dmitri Bichko
Subject Re: Storing data and indexes in different disks
Date
List pgsql-performance
I'd say it's a little early to worry about a 10% performance increase
when you don't have any redundancy.  You might want to consider using
more, cheaper SATA disks - with more spindles you may very well get
better performance in addition to redundancy.

Anyway, here's an optimization project I just went through recently: the
old database was running all on a SAN attached RAID5 partition; moved
the indices to a local striped mirror set (faster disks too: 15K rpm),
moved the WAL files to a separate local two disk mirror, and spent a lot
of time tuning the config parameters (the old install was running the
conservative defaults).  All the hardware (apart from the additional
disks) is the same.  For some simple queries I saw as much as a 150X
speedup, though that's certainly not typical of the performance
improvement overall.  Most of this is likely due to the memory settings,
but faster disks certainly play a part.

In any case, it's hard to say what would improve performance for you
without knowing what kind of applications you are running and what sort
of load they see.

Dmitri