progress of long running operation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Ribe
Subject progress of long running operation
Date
List pgsql-general
Is there any way to get some insight into the progress of:

insert into foo select distinct on (...) from bar where...

It's got to with importing some legacy data, which has no proper primary key, and duplicates, and garbage that won't be
accepted.And there's 30,000,000 rows, and I'm running on a slow disk for testing--so I know this is going to be
painfullyslow. But after a few hours I'd like to know if it's going to finish overnight, or if it will take so long
thatI need to look at alternate approaches.

(I upped my shared buffers & work mem, so explain on the select statement shows a bit better than 50% reduction in
predictedwork for that part. And I will go ahead and drop all indexes on the target table.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com