Re: INSERT doesn't like (.) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs
From Adam Levine
Subject Re: INSERT doesn't like (.)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I personally have connected Dynamo against Oracle and MS-SQL w/o fail.
Those 2 systems, as well as SQLanywhere seem to support this syntax.  If
this is a non-standard syntax, one might wonder what moved them to support
it.  Perhaps in an effort to alias the table as is done on a select?
  If this is indeed a very non-standard way of defining an INSERT, and there
is no quick way to resolve it (I'll change it on my side if I can find where
to start in the codebase), then I'll move this issue back to ATG where it
seems it might rightfully belong. Tho, it seems with a product as widely
supported as Dynamo that they would have encountered this problem before
now.

--- adam

From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
To: adam_l_levine@hotmail.com, pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] INSERT doesn't like (<table>.<column>)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:20:23 -0400

pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
 > I'm using Dynamo connected to Postgres.  The PreparedStatement
 > generated for an INSERT works on other dbs, but Postgres complains
 > with a parsing error.
 >  specifically:

What's your definition of "other dbs"?  The above statement is quite
clearly in violation of the SQL92 and SQL99 specifications:

          <insert statement> ::=
               INSERT INTO <table name>
                 <insert columns and source>

          <insert columns and source> ::=
               <query expression>
               | DEFAULT VALUES

          <insert column list> ::= <column name list>

          <column name list> ::=

          <column name> ::= <identifier>

I'm not particularly excited about supporting non-SQL variant syntaxes
that add no functionality.