pesky plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Walter McGinnis
Subject pesky plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-sql
Guess I'm an April Fool.  When I define the following psql returns
"CREATE":

-- update all galleries that are categories with their skey and rkey
values
CREATE FUNCTION update_cat_keys() RETURNS integer AS '
declare  v_row         RECORD;
begin for v_row in select gallery_id,
imagedb_gallery_hierarchy_skey(gallery_id, NULL, '''') as skey,
imagedb_gallery_hierarchy_rskey(gallery_id, NULL, '''') as rskey from
imagedb_galleries where category_p = ''t'' loop
    update imagedb_galleries    set skey = v_row.skey, rskey = v_row.rskey    where gallery_id = v_row.gallery_id; end
loop;
return 1;
end;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

When I call the function I get the following error:

devpps=# select update_cat_keys();
NOTICE:  plpgsql: ERROR during compile of update_cat_keys near line 2
ERROR:  parse error at or near ";"

The select in the loop runs fine in psql.  So I'm stumped...

I'm pretty ignorant about plpgsql, I'm used to pl/sql.

TIA,

Walter