RE: [GENERAL] Dashed if I can work this out. Help needed copying substring to another field - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jackson, DeJuan
Subject RE: [GENERAL] Dashed if I can work this out. Help needed copying substring to another field
Date
List pgsql-sql
This is assuming that location and category are limited to 1-2 character
codes...
testing=> create table mytable ( location varchar(2), category
varchar(2), code varchar(9));
CREATE
testing=> insert into mytable (code) VALUES ('10CE4578P');
INSERT 228523 1
testing=> insert into mytable (code) VALUES ('9E457CT');
INSERT 228524 1
testing=> insert into mytable (code) VALUES ('10E457CT');
INSERT 228525 1
testing=> insert into mytable (code) VALUES ('9CE457CT');
INSERT 228526 1
testing=> update mytable set location=substr(code, 1, 1) WHERE code ~*
'^[0-9][^0-9]';
UPDATE 2
testing=> update mytable set location=substr(code, 1, 2) WHERE code ~*
'^[0-9][0-9][^0-9]';
UPDATE 2
testing=> update mytable set category=substr(code, 2, 1) WHERE code ~*
'^[0-9][^0-9][0-9]';
UPDATE 1
testing=> update mytable set category=substr(code, 2, 2) WHERE code ~*
'^[0-9][^0-9][^0-9][0-9]';
UPDATE 1
testing=> update mytable set category=substr(code, 3, 2) WHERE code ~*
'^[0-9][0-9][^0-9][^0-9][0-9]';
UPDATE 1
testing=> update mytable set category=substr(code, 3, 1) WHERE code ~*
'^[0-9][0-9][^0-9][0-9]';
UPDATE 1
testing=> select * from mytable;
location|category|code
--------+--------+---------
       9|E       |9E457CT
       9|CE      |9CE457CT
      10|CE      |10CE4578P
      10|E       |10E457CT
(4 rows)

If you are interfacing an app that is regex capable you could easily
extract the parts with '^([0-9]{1,2})([a-zA-Z]{1,2})(.....)$' to give
you the three parts (this is a perl/php'ism, not sure that the {}'s are
standard regex).
Hope this helps,
    -DEJ