Re: 7.2 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From carl garland
Subject Re: 7.2 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Here is a small list of big TODO items.  I was wondering which ones
> > people were thinking about for 7.2?
>

>Other than that, I'm mostly thinking about performance improvements
>for 7.2, not features

My wish list includes incorporating the ideas brought forward in this
post
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/2000-09/msg00513.html
which discusses a patch that allows queries to return data from
the index scan directly.  In the thread it was noted that this should
be optional in that their is a small storage overhead but preliminary
results were showing a potential 75X increase in performance.  Oracle
has a similar index only table.  A special index type that includes a
tid would be really nice and I think worth investigating.
Best Regards,
Carl Garland