Re: Seeking advice on database table design for storing images - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: Seeking advice on database table design for storing images
Date
List pgsql-general
It's faster to store the images in the file system, and the path/filename in the database.

For one thing, the file system itself is just faster.
You would have to provide the client's browser with a URL for the image, and feed that through
some sort of switchyard script application, when with a filesystem based image, you just specifiy
where it is and let apache worry about it.

The only real advantage to putting images in the database, or hiding them behind another name in
the document tree and using a switchyard application to redirect the image request is to protect
your image directory and images from any use but in your site's documents (until they are
downloaded once)