Re: JSON for PG 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Dec 17, 2011, at 3:53 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> Which looks very good.

Love having the start here. I forwarded this message to Claes Jakobsson, creator of the jansson-using pg-json
extension.He’s a bit less supportive. He gave me permission to quote him here:

> Frankly I see the inclusion of a JSON datatype in core as unnecessary. Stuff should be moved out of core rather than
in,as we do in Perl. Also, does this patch mean that the 'json' type is forever claimed and can't be replaced by
extensions?

> There's little reason to reimplement JSON parsing, comparision and other routines when there's a multitude of already
goodlibraries.

Personally, I think that there really should be a core key/value-type data type, and json is probably the best possible
choice,absent a SQL-standard-mandated type (which would probably suck anyway). But I think it worthwhile to hear
alternatepoints of view, and this isn't far from what Jan said last week.

Best,

David