Re: Win32 8.3.3 install fail (sufficient privileges to install system services). - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Denne
Subject Re: Win32 8.3.3 install fail (sufficient privileges to install system services).
Date
List pgsql-general
Terry Yapt wrote:
> I did installed 8.3.1 on WinXP Prof. and all was ok.  After that
> successful install I have tried to install 8.2.x without
> success several
> times on the same workstation.
>
> Today I have tried to install 8.3.3 and I have stuck on the
> same error:
>
> ===============
> Service 'PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3' (pgsql-8.3)
> could not be installed.  Verify that you have sufficient
> privileges to install system services.
> ===============
>
> After that, you can _only_ CANCEL install.  Of course I have
> sufficient
> privileges because I am on Administrators group.  Moreover I am
> installing with the same user I have installed 8.3.1 only two
> days ago.
>
> Any idea ?

I've a similar problem on one development PC, but another one upgraded fine.

I think the cause is due to the user that gets created to run the service.

On the PC with the problem, I have both 8.2 and 8.3 installed.
8.2 using the user account "postgres" and 8.3 using the user account "postgres83".

To work around it, when the error message popped up, I left it there, and from memory went through a process a bit like
this:
- went to services,
- tried to start it using various user accounts, which failed,
- went to my user accounts,
- set postgres83's password to something I could remember,
- accepted the huge warnings about no longer having access to stuff,
- used that password in the service,
- started the service,
- that worked,
- stopped the service,
- closed the services window,
- went back to the installer error message,
- clicked retry,
- which succeeded in starting the service, and completing the upgrade.

Regards,
Stephen Denne.
--
At the Datamail Group we value teamwork, respect, achievement, client focus, and courage.
This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.

The Datamail Group, through our GoGreen programme, is committed to environmental sustainability.
Help us in our efforts by not printing this email.
  This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
              Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/dmzmessaging.htm for details.