Re: Ad Hoc Indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Denne
Subject Re: Ad Hoc Indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin wrote:
> although in both case with and with out indexes the estimate still failed to return the correct number by allot.

The improvement wasn't to the part of the query that had the bad cost estimate, it was to the part that was being
performedhundreds of times instead of the one time the planner estimated.

The planner still thought it was only going to perform a sequential scan of your wooper table once. So even if there
hadbeen any Ad Hoc Index creation code that had been used to consider creating indexes as part of a plan cost estimate,
itwouldn't have bothered creating any indexes on wooper.

Regards,
Stephen Denne.

Disclaimer:
At the Datamail Group we value team commitment, respect, achievement, customer focus, and courage. This email with any
attachmentsis confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If it is not intended for you please advise by reply
immediately,destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.

__________________________________________________________________ This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal
BusinessQuality              Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/services/bqem.htm for details.