Re: Internationalisation (i18n) with Postgres as backend - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laura Smith
Subject Re: Internationalisation (i18n) with Postgres as backend
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, 2 June 2021 00:42, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/1/21 5:00 PM, Laura Smith wrote:
>
> > > What is your notion of "object".  I first assumed it was akin to
> > > "document" but then pages have objects.
> >
> > I think my terminology is a bit off.
> >
> > A document/page has object(s) on it.
> >
> > Or, perhaps better expressed, think of document/page as the template and object(s) is what fills the gaps in the
template.

> Then I take it this template (layout?) is to be re-used across disparate content.  So /instances/ of template applied
tocontent (of vice versa?) are documents.  Two separate domains to be managed, no?  Is this an authoring system?  Hard
copyor digital presentation?

Yes, you are thinking along the right lines.

The templates themselves are out-of-scope for the database, they are defined and managed in front-end  as local
filesystemfiles for the relevant parser to render since frontend tech is generally better suited to this role than
databases.

The role of the database is (when given a document ID) :
- Tell the frontend which template to use
- Provide content to fill template placeholders

The content may take two forms:
(a) Pure "fill the gaps" content for template placeholders (i.e. text for here, image for there etc.)
(b) A list result set which then gets rendered by frontend (i.e think  change lists, news items, lists of people's bios
etc.)

Versioning is a requirement of the system, particularly at content level.

The internationalisation requirement comes in at content level.  The templates themselves don't have any translatable
elements.

So, I guess TL;DR is yes, an authoring system.  Currently only spec'd for digital (browser and mobile access), no
print.

Hope this helps clarify !