FW: Server Time Setting - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Lane Van Ingen
Subject FW: Server Time Setting
Date
List pgsql-admin
Is there anyone who knows the answer as to why now() is delivering a
different
time answer than Windows?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 6:42 PM
To: Lane Van Ingen
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Server Time Setting

"Lane Van Ingen" <lvaningen@esncc.com> writes:
>> I am baffled as to why some of the PostgreSQL functions (like now() ) are
>> returning a time which is exactly an hour later than the server's actual
>> system time.

> I'd say you've got TimeZone set to something different than you think
> you do.
>            regards, tom lane

Before I asked this question yesterday, I had already checked SHOW ALL and
found only two PostgreSQL config parameters that seemed to apply, and they
appeared to be set properly:
  australian_timezones  = no
  TimeZone              = US/Eastern
We are running 8.0.1, Windows 2003.

Since last message, checked 3 other servers, and found that I have the same
problem on two out of three:
  Server #1: select now() agreed with Windows time on this one
  Server #2: select now() was exactly one hour greater than Windows time
             where config parms were set the same as previous paragraph
  Server #3: select now() was exactly one hour greater than Windows time,
             but config parm was set wrong: TimeZone = Europe/Dublin (don't
             know how that happened; makes you wonder if TimeZone has
             anything to do with this at all!)

Windows 2003 time was set correctly in all four cases.

  - two servers APPEAR to be set correctly, but time displayed from now() as
    one hour greater than Windows time
  - one server is set incorrectly, but TimeZone did not appear to have any
    effect on the time being displayed; now() just displayed time as one
    hour greater than Windows time

Being as one server is 'doing it right', there must be some difference, but
so far I have not found what is different. Windows appeared to be correct in
all cases, but PostgreSQL did not.