Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Lane Van Ingen
Subject Re: What Am I Doing Wrong?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Ignore my request. The solution is:  ---------------------------
computeIfUptime() -------------------------------------
 select (EXTRACT(EPOCH from TIMESTAMP 'now') - EXTRACT(EPOCH from TIMESTAMP
'2005-10-18 17:00:00'))::integer

-----Original Message-----
From: Lane Van Ingen [mailto:lvaningen@esncc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:39 PM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: What Am I Doing Wrong?

I have been trying to subtract two timestamps from each other to determine
the difference between the two timestamps (current time and a past timestamp
called 'updated_time') IN SECONDS, but no luck.

The trouble I am having is getting the first timestamp, representing the
current time, to translate to seconds; have tried different commands (now(),
localtimestamp, current_timestamp, etc)

What am I doing wrong? Sample statement and error message is below:

select EXTRACT(EPOCH from TIMESTAMP current_timestamp) - EXTRACT(EPOCH from
TIMESTAMP updated_time) ::integer

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "current_timestamp" at character 37