Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Tucker
Subject Re: PITR, checkpoint, and local relations
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Suppose you can turn off/on PostgreSQL's atomic write on the fly.  Which
means turning on or off whether XLoginsert writes a copy of the block into
the log file upon first modification after a checkpoint.
So ALTER SYSTEM BEGIN BACKUP would turn on atomic write and then checkpoint
the database.
So while the OS copy of the data files is going on the atomic write would be
enabled. So any read of a partial write would be fixed up by the usual crash
recovery mechanism.