Re: [SQL] Yet Another (Simple) Case of Index not used - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Denis @ Next2Me
Subject Re: [SQL] Yet Another (Simple) Case of Index not used
Date
Re: [SQL] Yet Another (Simple) Case of Index not used
List pgsql-performance
Josh,

I am no database expert, and even less knowledgeable about the internals
of postgresql, so I'll trust you on the 2 points you make below.

Are you saying the 7.4 'group by' trick would be faster than the simple select count(*)?
That seems hard to believe, being that the request now has to fetch / sort the data.
I must be missing something.

The kind of requests that I am really interested in are:
select count(*) from table where table.column like 'pattern%'
These seems to go much master on mysql (which I guess it not a MVCC database? or wasn't
the Innobase supposed to make it so?), than on postgresql.

So, in the meantime, I've decided to split up my data into two sets,
the static big tables which are handled by mysql, and the rest of it handled
by postgresql....