FW: Version 7 question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Howard Oblowitz
Subject FW: Version 7 question
Date
Re: Version 7 question
List pgsql-performance
What would be the best value range for effective_cache_size
on Postgres 7.3.2, assuming say 1.5 GB of RAM and
shared_buffers set to 8192, and shmmax set to 750mb?

And what are the most important factors one should take
into account in determining the value?