Re: which is the best - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Guido Neitzer
Subject Re: which is the best
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 17.04.2006, at 5:18 Uhr, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> Which way is "better" depends on your access patterns.  PostgreSQL
> doesn't support cross-database queries (except via functions like
> dblink), so if you need to join tables in one database with tables
> in another then you'll probably want make A, B, and C schemas in
> the same database.  But if A, B, and C have no relationship with
> one another then you might want to isolate them as separate databases.

This is also dependant on the tool you use for accessing the
databases. E.g. Apple WebObjects has no problems in working with
relationships over severals databases, even if these databases are
from different vendors. I have an application running, that joins
information from a PostgreSQL, a FrontBase and an Oracle db in one
"fetch" without any special voodoo going on on the database side.
Only thing to have is that primary and foreign keys are in a
compatible format.

I think this question can't be answered correctly without specific
knowledge about the whole environment.

cug

--
PharmaLine, Essen, GERMANY