Pg_dumpall problem[2] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Hall
Subject Pg_dumpall problem[2]
Date
Re: Pg_dumpall problem[2]  (Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
List pgsql-general
Since there were no replies to this, I did some testing w/pg_hba.conf since
I thought the problem might be there. I now have a question about
pg_hba.conf.

I need pg_hba.conf to allow local connections [via telnet for example] to
the database without requesting a password, but to request a password for
clients connecting via the web based front end. All clients are on the
172.X.X.X ip range.

My current pg_hba.conf shows:
Local        all       password
Host         all       172.0.0.0    255.255.255.255    password

If I change local from password to trust PG will allow any client accessing
the database from the web based front end in w/o a password.

I looked at the docs for more info on the local pg_hba.conf option, but
didn't find much to help. (PG version is 7.1)

The goal is to have cron run some backup scripts (to dump the databases
daily) without having to enter a password for the dumps.

Any assistance is appreciated!
Thanks,
-jim

I am trying to use pg_dumpall to backup my databases, and it is failing.
The results of a attempted dumpall are below:

[postgres@rspde postgres]$ pg_dumpall > 020503.out
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
Password: Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
[...]
Password: Connection to database '' failed.
fe_sendauth: no password supplied

pg_dump failed on , exiting

The version of Postgresql is 7.1 and all tables have owner postgres. The
password I supply is correct.

If anyone can shed any light on this problem, it would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
-jim