String Encoding Conversion Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ryan Wells
Subject String Encoding Conversion Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
We've got a .NET application that's trying to move data from an old MySQL database to a shiny new Postgres db, but we keep getting this error:
invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xf66a6e69

The MySQL table is using "latin1 -- cp1252 West European" and the Postgres server is using UTF8.  We're narrowed the problem down to the special characters in what appears to be some Swedish text (hopefully they'll make the transition to email):

Onormal höjning av kroppstemperaturen, oftast till följd av något sjukdomsförlopp. (MeSH Swedish)

This may actually be more of a .NET string conversion issue, but I wanted to check and make sure there's not some obvious database angle we're missing.  Does anyone have any experience with or insight into these sorts of string compatibility issues?

Thanks!
Ryan

Ryan Wells
Application Developer, SOAPware, Inc.