Bug: Ambiguous Column Reference Allowed When Joining to pg_roles.oid - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew Kelly
Subject Bug: Ambiguous Column Reference Allowed When Joining to pg_roles.oid
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I recently fell afoul of a weird edge case while writing an extension.  It seems Postgres allows for an ambiguous
columnreference to oid in the where clause when joining to pg_roles.  It just arbitrarily chooses pg_roles.oid and
ignoresthe conflicting name.  Example:

postgres=# CREATE TABLE t_demo();
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# SELECT r.rolname FROM pg_class c JOIN pg_roles r ON (c.relowner = r.oid) WHERE oid = 't_demo'::regclass;
 rolname
---------
(0 rows)

postgres=# SELECT r.rolname FROM pg_class c JOIN pg_roles r ON (c.relowner = r.oid) WHERE c.oid = 't_demo'::regclass;
 rolname
 postgres
(1 row)

postgres=# SELECT r.rolname FROM pg_class c JOIN pg_roles r ON (c.relowner = r.oid) WHERE r.oid = 't_demo'::regclass;
 rolname
---------
(0 rows)

It seems like ambiguous oid references generally hit a different error message than normal ambiguous column