Re: Huge shared hit for small table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Rankin
Subject Re: Huge shared hit for small table
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks to Justin for the clarification around pgstatindex:

Staging:

version2
tree_level1
index_size425984
root_block_no3
internal_pages1
leaf_pages50
empty_pages0
deleted_pages0
avg_leaf_density70.86
leaf_fragmentation16

Production:

version2
tree_level1
index_size360448
root_block_no3
internal_pages1
leaf_pages41
empty_pages0
deleted_pages1
avg_leaf_density60.44
leaf_fragmentation39.02

On 11/4/19, 3:07 PM, "Peter Geoghegan" <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:

    On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 11:56 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
    > I think it's because some heap pages are being visited many times, due to the
    > index tuples being badly "fragmented".  Note, I'm not talking about
    > fragmentation of index *pages*, which is what pgstattuple reports (which
    > wouldn't have nearly so detrimental effect).  I could probably say that the
    > index tuples are badly "correlated" with the heap.

    But this is a unique index, and Scott indicates that the problem seems
    to go away for a while following a REINDEX.

    > In PG v12 you can use REINDEX CONCURRENTLY (but beware there's a crash
    > affecting its progress reporting, fix to be included in v12.1).

    PG v12 will store B-Tree duplicates in heap TID order, so if that's
    the problem then upgrading to v12 (and REINDEXing if the upgrade was
    performed using pg_upgrade) will fix it for good.

    --
    Peter Geoghegan

This email message contains information that Motus, LLC considers confidential and/or proprietary, or may later
designateas confidential and proprietary. It is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above and
shouldnot be forwarded to any other persons or entities without the express consent of Motus, LLC, nor should it be
usedfor any purpose other than in the course of any potential or actual business relationship with Motus, LLC. If the
readerof this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended
recipient,you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately and destroy the original
message.

Internal Revenue Service regulations require that certain types of written advice include a disclaimer. To the extent
thepreceding message contains advice relating to a Federal tax issue, unless expressly stated otherwise the advice is
notintended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer, for the purpose of
avoidingFederal tax penalties, and was not written to support the promotion or marketing of any transaction or matter
discussedherein.