How many file descriptors does postgres need? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Royce Ausburn
Subject How many file descriptors does postgres need?
Date
List pgsql-general
G'day all,

We recently had a bit of a catastrophe when one of our postgres databases opened too many files.  It was a reasonably
easyfix, but it did get me thinking.  Is there a rule of thumb in determining how many file descriptors should be
availableto a postgres database/cluster?

I'd be happy to set it to some large number, but I'd really like some confidence about how much the database can grow
witha new limit.

Cheers!

--Royce