Differences between Postgres and MySql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gage
Subject Differences between Postgres and MySql
Date
List pgsql-general
> John Gage, 25.06.2010 11:50:
>> I am astonished to discover that MySQL does not support
>> regular expressions much less something like tsvector.
>
> Getting really off-topic now: but MySQL does support Regex
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/regexp.html

I have done an extensive comparison between MySQL's support for regexp
and Postresql's and, frankly, there is no comparison.  The support in
Postgresql is far greater than in MySQL.  This is not a flame.  It is
intended to help anyone choosing between the two programs.

The best example I can present is the regexp_split_to_table function
in Postgres.  I use it all the time.  It is enormously convenient.
Anyone analyzing text is ecstatic to have such a powerful function
readily available.

This is a qualitative difference.

John