Re: Extracting fieldnames from a TABLE - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Thomas F.O'Connell
Subject Re: Extracting fieldnames from a TABLE
Date
List pgsql-sql
One way to do this is to use the column_info database handle method.

Here's a little perl script that accepts a table name as an argument
and returns the column names:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use DBI;
use strict;

my( $database, $table ) = @ARGV;
my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi:Pg:dbname=$database", 'postgres' );
my $sth = $dbh->column_info( undef, 'public', $table, '%' );
$sth->execute;

while( my @row = $sth->fetchrow_array ) {        print join( ' ', $row[ 3 ] ), "\n";
}

$sth->finish;
$dbh->disconnect;

This could be easily modified to stick the contents of $row[ 3 ] into
an array. You'd have to modify the user and schema as appropriate for
your database.

The fourth parameter to column_info is a wildcard so you get everything.

-tfo