Re: Having issues inserting a string with a ' into a varchar column - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gavan Schneider
Subject Re: Having issues inserting a string with a ' into a varchar column
Date
List pgsql-admin

On 16 Apr 2022, at 4:01, Sbob wrote:

Hi all;

I have a table that includes a varchar column.

I am inserting some data and one of the strings = "Poker 5 card Hold'Em"

as a straight string it errors out.

I tried this :  quote_ident ( 'Poker 5 card Hold'Em')

but it still error's out

I also tried : quote_literal('Poker 5 card Hold\'Em')

but it also errors out:

psql:test.sql:1042: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "Em"
LINE 1: ...ed) VALUES ( quote_literal('Poker 5 card Hold\\'Em'), 2, 1...

Unbalanced single quote, try dollar quotes as a general get out of jail approach…

pendari=# SELECT $x$Poker 5 card Hold'Em$x$::TEXT;        text
---------------------- Poker 5 card Hold'Em
(1 row)

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-CONSTANTS

Regards

Gavan Schneider
——
Gavan Schneider, Sodwalls, NSW, Australia
— H. L. Mencken, 1920