Re: Tsearch2: casting text to tsquery - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Presber
Subject Re: Tsearch2: casting text to tsquery
Date
List pgsql-general
Am 16.11.2005 um 13:52 schrieb Oleg Bartunov:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Alexander Presber wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question that arose while using tsearch on a large
>> database of book information.
>>
>> In order to inject unstemmed + stemmed versions of searchstrings
>> into a query we want to cast an expression of type text to tsquery.
>> Unfortunately
>>
>> SELECT 'word'::tsquery
>>
>> (where the literal 'word' is of type 'unknown' seemingly) works
>> just fine while e.g.
>>
>> SELECT ('word' || '&fullword')::tsquery
>>
>> or, simpler
>>
>> SELECT 'word&fullword'::text::tsquery
>>
>> gives
>>
>> ERROR:  cannot cast type text to tsearch2.tsquery
>>
>> How can we work around that? Thanks for any help
>
> no workaround needed. to_tsquery provides everything you need. If
> you want fancy-shmancy solution you could always write wrapper
> around tsquery, but
> I doubt you enter queries by hand, so why do you bothering ?

No. No fancy-shmancy solution needed, just one that works.

I do not see a way to include both a stemmed and unstemmed version of
a string into a tsquery.
Can you give an example, please?

Thanks
Alex

P.S. I have read the documentation (twice.)