Re: pgAgent setup - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAgent setup
Date
List pgadmin-support

From: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Paolo Saudin
Sent: 24 October 2005 19:02
To: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] pgAgent setup

Hi,
    I've installed the latest PostgreSQL release, 8.1-beta4 with default settings.
I installed the 'pgagent.sql' script and the service with the following command :
pgAgent INSTALL pgAgent -u postgres -p postmaster hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=postgres user=postgres
windows user (created during the installation process)
    user= postgres
    password = postmaster
postgresql user
    user=postgres
    password=postgres
I run the service with no errors.
I then created a job to fill a table with the current date and time as follow but it never run and the statistics are empty.
When refreshing, the Next run field does not change

job1
Name            job1
Enabled        Yes
Host agent     localhost
Job class       Routine maintenance
Created         24/10/2005 18.44.49
Changed        24/10/2005 18.44.49
Next run        24/10/2005 19.19.00
Last run
Last result     Unknown
Running at     Not currently running

I suspect the problem is that your host agent is not actually localhost - pgAgent uses the wxGetFullHostName (http://wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.2/wx_networkfunctions.html#wxgetfullhostname) function which returns the fully qualified domain host name of the machine it's running on. In my case that might be pc30.vale-housing.co.uk for example.

Unless you are running multiple agents and need to target jobs at specific ones, it's normally safe to leave this field blank which means that any agent can run the job.

Regards, Dave