Re: Ready for beta yet? - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Ready for beta yet?
Date
Re: [Slony1-general] RE: Ready for beta yet?  (elein <elein@varlena.com>)
Re: Ready for beta yet?  (Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>)
List pgadmin-hackers

I didn't comment previously because I don't understand the issues fully
enough to provide any useful input. I do know that forking parts of
Slony other than is probably not a good idea.

> > The Slony team have told us that they
> > don't thing the proposed changes are appropriate,
>
> I wrote a lengthy mail about this timezone stuff. The issue
> is fixed in
> slonik, but not in the db. Don't they want other tools to run? Why do
> they insist on relying on server's display formatting settings, if
> things can easily be coded to avoid that?

I don't know. Perhaps Jan or Christopher can explain so we can
understand their line of thinking?

> > so all that will end
> > up happening is that any users running pgAdmin will get
> told to come and
> > see us for support, or stop running a non-standard version of Slony.
>

> I did hope to get feedback what exactly they think happens to
> non-enabled nodes, or finally what the no_active flag is good
> for if a
> node with the flag set to false is assumed to screw up everything.
>
> Imagine a standard node (freshly created with slonik, no_active=true)
> that has no path information to other nodes. Will it
> interfere? If not,
> will the existence (not the creation) of path information interfere?
> AFAICS the interference starts when creating listens, not earlier.

I really don't know the answer to that - again, hopefully Jan or
Christopher can help.

> >  do not want us to have to deal with any Slony support
> beyond our own
> > code in pgAdmin
>
> We'll be dealing with it anyway. Several tasks are
> implemented deep down
> in slonik, not really documented to be executed in a different tool.

Yes, but I don't want us to have to take on random problems that might
be caused by difference in our versions of the scripts. At the moment at
least, pgAdmin is working behind the documented Slony API. If we change
that in any way the Slony team would have every right to tell us and any
users using our version of things to go an sort out *any* problems for
ourselves.

> > What exactly do we need the admin nodes for? I'm assuming
> that you're
> > setting up the maintenance DB for the server as the admin
> node so we can
> > easily find all sets on that server - is that right?
>
> It's not needed to locate stuff in the current db's cluster, but to
> perform actions that have to be executed on the local db as
> well as the
> remote server.

Why are such actions not performed on the origin node as a matter of
course (see below before answering that :-) )?

> > Perhaps for older
> > versions (well 1.1) we need to just find sets as we connect to any
> > individual databases, and use your original plan for 1.2 in
> which we use
> > a separate table as Jan/Chris have suggested?
>
> While I'm not particularly fond of doing things in 1.2+
> different from
> 1.0-1.1, this is certainly not a real problem.
> What *is* a problem is scanning all servers and databases to find a
> suitable connection, this won't work for several reasons:
> - we might hit a cluster with the same name, which is actually a
> different one.
> - This may take a very long time. I have several remote servers
> registered, which aren't accessible until I connect via VPN. It would
> take some minutes until all timeouts elapsed.

I'm not suggesting a full search at connect, just that we populate the
trees etc only when we do actually connect to an individual database.
That should be a relatively trivial query on pg_class/pg_namespace I
would think?

> > Also, what has Chris K-L done in phpPgAdmin? I thought he
> was going to
> > use the admin nodes idea as well, but perhaps not...
>
> He might not have got to the point where he needs multiple
> connections.
> Joining a cluster needs it, but this is trivial because the
> server/db/cluster-to-join is manually selected. Failover does
> require it
> (failednode to be called on all nodes).
>
> I'd consider it highly error prone if the connect information
> entry is
> deferred until failover really has to happen. Failover is a
> last-resort
> action, after everything else failed. In that situation human errors
> tend to happen, and they usually have far more dramatic consequences
> (Murphy...).
>
> The second use-case is monitoring. When working on a cluster, it's
> desirable to work cluster-centric, i.e. do everything from a single
> point, instead of jumping from one database to another to locate the
> provider node or to find out what's happening on a particular node.
>
> While omitting the second point is simply (a lot) less user friendly,
> failover support can't be reliably implemented without persistent
> connection info.

Which is why you can't use the origin I guess - because you are unlikely
to be able to access the origin when you need to failover, but need to
be sure that pgAdmin knows about the most recent configuration before
doing anything potentially dangerous. Hmmm... Think I see what you mean
now (at last)!!

/D