Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Yes, but isn't the point of the so-called WTKS to pull in other projects
like PL/R, libpqxx and a range of other external projects from places
like Gborg? We have precisely zero control over their quality.

> > - How will users be sure that the external projects are of
> the quality
> > we expect of PostgreSQL?
>
> Again, how are they sure now?
>
> If you are referring to my thought to include stuff like JDBC
> or libpqxx,
> then as I've already stated, it will be their responsibility
> to work with
> us if they want to be included ... if we are ready to release
> 8.1, and
> they don't set down a 8.1 tag that we can 'pull from', they won't be
> included in that release ... we're not going to chase them down ...

So we could easily end up with one package being included in one
release, but not the next, then included in the next two, then dropped
from a couple? Users will go loopy trying to figure that out!

Regards, Dave.