Re: Remote administration functionality - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Remote administration functionality
Date
List pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:pgman@candle.pha.pa.us]
Sent: Sun 7/31/2005 2:58 PM
To: Dave Page
Cc: Tom Lane; Magnus Hagander; PostgreSQL-development
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Remote administration functionality

> I was thinking of a global table that can be modified with
> INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE and is then dumped to a flat file, like we do with
> pg_shadow.

The problem is, pg_hba.conf might be editted via the OS unlike the text version of pg_shadow which is only editted via
theserver, which would make appropriate locking nigh-on impossible afaics.

Unless you're advocating only allowing pg_hba modifications via the server, in which case it must be started in default
configurationbefore any mods can be made. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me :-(

Regards, Dave.