Re: storing TZ along timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: storing TZ along timestamps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On May 27, 2011, at 2:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
>> I like it, but what do you do when a TZ has been renamed or has ceased
>> to exist.
>
> As far as that goes, I think "nothing" is a sufficient answer.  There's
> no requirement that an OID in the mapping table correspond to a live TZ.
> It's just a more compact way of storing a string name.

Well then you'd just want to be sure to never delete TZs.

I think the issue of trying this week to use a TZ that was removed last week might be more problematic. I mean, we
couldjust let the user use it, but that hardly seems wise…

Best,

David