Re: Dependency tracking tool - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philippe Lang
Subject Re: Dependency tracking tool
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom wrote:

>> In order to have a "global map" of the dependencies of the functions,
>> views, tables in a PG database, I'd like to have some sort of
>> "dependency tracking tool"...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Is it correct to say that this "hierarchy" does not exist inside
>> Postgresql, and that it is necessary to parse the
>> INFORMATION_SCHEMA.* tables to get this information?
>
> The information_schema views do not expose that information at all.

The information schema exposes at least the functions definitions,
through "INFORMATION_SCHEMA.routines.routine_definition".

My idea was to parse the functions definitions in order to build
dependencies between the functions. I'm not sure how difficult it is,
especially with overloaded functions, which require more than a simple
pattern search inside the function definition in order to be
distinguished...

Best regards,

Philippe Lang                   Web    : www.attiksystem.ch
Attik System                    Email  : philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch
rte de la Fonderie 2            Phone  : +41 26 422 13 75
1700 Fribourg                   Mobile : +41 79 351 49 94
Switzerland                     Fax    : +41 26 422 13 76