Re: Bug report: NullPointerException from Driver.connect when passed a Properties with non-string values - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Nathaniel Waisbrot
Subject Re: Bug report: NullPointerException from Driver.connect when passed a Properties with non-string values
Date
Re: Bug report: NullPointerException from Driver.connect when passed a Properties with non-string values  (Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Thanks for the responses, dmp and Dave.
I agree that it's rather surprising to be getting non-String values for the Driver, but I don't think it's actually
*required*by any spec that they be Strings.  The references I'm looking at are:

The connect method of Driver, which takes a Properties:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/Driver.html#connect%28java.lang.String,%20java.util.Properties%29

The Properties class:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html

Which warns that:
    "Because Properties inherits from Hashtable, the put and putAll methods can be applied to a Properties object.
Theiruse is strongly discouraged as they allow the caller to insert entries whose keys or values are not Strings. The
setPropertymethod should be used instead. If the store or save method is called on a "compromised" Properties object
thatcontains a non-String key or value, the call will fail. Similarly, the call to the propertyNames or list method
willfail if it is called on a "compromised" Properties object that contains a non-String key."

Frustratingly, you need to actually look at the source code of Properties to see some undocumented behavior of
getProperty:

    public String getProperty(String key) {
        Object oval = super.get(key);
        String sval = (oval instanceof String) ? (String)oval : null;
        return ((sval == null) && (defaults != null)) ? defaults.getProperty(key) : sval;
    }

Note that middle line--the reason that my example program fails is because an Object is not of type String, and so
getPropertyis substituting a null value.

I've attached a candidate patch for you: waisbrot-exception.patch checks the result of getProperty() and throws a
PSQLExceptionif it is null.  This allows drivers that want to deal with non-string Properties to get a turn with the
URL,but will cause DriverManager to report the error if no Driver can perform the connection.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.3/docs/api/java/sql/DriverPropertyInfo.html

> Your test case is actually a bit misleading as getProperty returns null because getString on the empty object returns
null.

> while I'm inclined to accept a patch to fix this, this is clearly 'out of spec'
>
> Dave Cramer
>
> dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
> http://www.credativ.ca
>

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM, dmp <danap@ttc-cmc.net> wrote:
> Hello Nathaniel,
>
> Any very robust program will try to handle anything the user throws at it.
>
> In this case you have passed a null value as an argument to the method
> and it as acted according by giving you a NUllPointerException. Perhaps
> wrapping this as SQLException may be more easily caught by your app., but
> would be deceptive in response.
>
> Perhaps you could submit a patch for consideration, to the solution you
> desire. The code may be obtained at GitHub.
>
> git clone git://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc.git
>
> danap.
>

> Nathaniel Waisbrot wrote:
> I found this while working with another JDBC driver (Stels XML driver).  The Postgresql driver's connect() method is
expectingthe passed Properties object to have only string values, but this is not actually guaranteed to be the case.
Ithink that the PG driver should wrap the NullPointerException in a SQLException, which would allow the DriverManager
toattempt to use other JDBC drivers to make the connection.