Cannot start Postgres- FATAL: invalid cache id: 19 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jolles, Peter M (GE Energy)
Subject Cannot start Postgres- FATAL: invalid cache id: 19
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:58 AM Vick Khera wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Jolles, Peter M (GE Energy) wrote:
> > 2010-11-29 12:39:17 EST HINT:  Stop the postmaster and use a
> > standalone backend to vacuum that database.
>
> so did you do what the HINT told you to do?  does it still not startup?

When I realized what was happening I stopped the server and attempted to restart it after making a backup. I was under
theimpression the database had to be able to start up in order to vacuum it. If there is a way to do it with the
databasenot running, I don't know how to do that.

> > I had multiple auto-vacuum instances running, but it looks like they
> > were unable to keep up.
> >
> are there any log lines complaining that autovacuum terminated any jobs?
> anything from autovacuum?

I don't see anything in the log that the autovacuum specifically terminated any jobs or gave any error. Approximately 4
hoursbefore the database started refusing transactions the following was present, but I wasn't able to shut everything
downin time:

EST WARNING:  database "fps_data" must be vacuumed within 11000000 transactions

I know now that I'm going to have to slow down the transaction rate in order to let the autovacuum keep up, but at this
pointI am just trying to salvage the data present in the database.

Thanks,
Peter Jolles