Re: Tech Docs and Consultants - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Scott Lamb
Subject Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date
Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
List pgsql-advocacy
Okay, I'm looking back at this thread from a week ago about using CVS
for the websites. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the
more I look at it, the more I think that the arguments that convinced
me were not good.

On Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003, at 12:46 US/Central, ""
<justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
> One of the significant contributing reasons to the jobs.postgresql.org
> site not
> getting off the ground was because everyone who wanted to work on it
> had to
> commit to CVS in order to do anything.

Where was this discussed? I looked for like a pgsql-jobs and
pgsql-jobs-cvs mailing list and found nothing.

I did find a few messages from you, Justin. I.e.,
<http://www.faqchest.com/prgm/pgsql-l/pgsql-01/pgsql-0109/pgsql-010911/
pgsql01090905_08772.html> But a google search for "jobs.postgresql.org"
turned up only that. No mention of mailing lists existing anywhere.
Pretty much nothing.

I don't think jobs.postgresql.org is a good example of this not
working, because from what little I can see from here, CVS is not why
it failed. No one knew about it, it didn't have the same sort of
associated stuff that would be expected for a code project.

I really find it hard to believe that CVS is a barrier to anyone, even
if they are MS Access users on Windows. There are lots and lots of open
source projects out there with inexperienced developers who manage to
use CVS. There are projects like TortoiseCVS that provide easy-to-use
GUIs for Windows (we use that one at work).

Justin, I think your statements actually proved my point - you didn't
know your way around CVS then needed to use it for a project, so you
learned it. And I would guess learned much more about it than you need
to update to head, add, and commit/diff. Because that's all I really
see adding a page to this website requiring. And again, TortoiseCVS
makes that very easy.

Honestly, I think it's more elitist to say "we can't use time-saving
tools because people are too stupid to learn them", to twist your (you
plural) words in a similar manner to the way mine were twisted.

Scott