Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Carey
Subject Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Aug 19, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Philippe Rimbault wrote:
>> I've run "time pgbench -c 50" :
>>    server x64 :
>>        starting vacuum...end.
>>        transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
>>        scaling factor: 1
>>        query mode: simple
>>        number of clients: 50
>>        number of transactions per client: 10
>>        number of transactions actually processed: 500/500
>>        tps = 523.034437 (including connections establishing)
>>        tps = 663.511008 (excluding connections establishing)
>>

> As mentioned already, most of the difference you're seeing is simply
> that your desktop system has faster individual processor cores in it, so
> jobs where only a single core are being used are going to be faster on it.

But the select count(*) query, cached in RAM is 3x faster in one system than the other.  The CPUs aren't 3x different
performancewise.  Something else may be wrong here.

An individual Core2 Duo 2.93Ghz should be at most 50% faster than a 2.2Ghz Opteron for such a query.   Unless there are
somecompile options that are set wrong.   I would check the compile options.