Re: Possible data corruption with Postgres 7.4.8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric B. Ridge
Subject Re: Possible data corruption with Postgres 7.4.8
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 13, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> The relation-extension race condition could explain recently-added
> tuples simply disappearing, though if it happened in more than one
> table
> you'd have to assume that the race condition window got hit more than
> once.  The slru race condition is even narrower, but if it hit then it
> could cause tuples inserted by the same transaction into different
> tables to become lost.  Either of these seem to match your symptoms?

If "tuples inserted" can mean "tuples inserted by means of an UPDATE
statement", then I think the latter applies.

In digging further, the record which disappeared should have had
corresponding records in three other tables, each of which were also
missing.  The update across all four tables would have been part of
the same transaction (they're updated at the same time as part of an
ON UPDATE RULE against a VIEW).

eric