Re: Specific query performance problem help requested - postgresql 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Brad Might
Subject Re: Specific query performance problem help requested - postgresql 7.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
Looks like I modified that constraint since the original has '3' and
explaining that shows the one I ended up running and posting has 3.
Whn I explain on the original version it shows filter: (bucket =
3::bigint)

Can you elaborate on what you mean by:
> The bucket = 3 rows have to be lurking further to the back of the
filename order than the others

How does this apply to the index on filename?

It is possible that the data values are skewed, is there any way I can
gracefully handle this condition?
This query is being used to extract data for interactive display and the
time for bucket 3 is so out of
whack with all the others (I've run this across all buckets and only
bucket 3 has the horrendous excecution
times)

Any suggestions for working around this problem to speed up execution?

Thanks for the help

brad