Platform Availability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Francois Wirth
Subject Platform Availability
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We are looking for a client side database in our client-server architecture.
Presently we are managing large volumes of data on the file-system, but it
would be preferable to have a client database, which could handle the data
and manage it more efficiently. Is Postgresql a viable option (ignoring
platform dependencies) in this scenario?

The database must be a free, open-source database which is cross-platform.
We are looking especially at Linux and Windows 95/98/NT/2000. The database
(server and client) must be able to run on these platforms.

In the documentation we find that Postgresql runs on NT and only the client
works on Windows95/98. Is there a chance that the server can run on 95/98 or
does it need a big change in the code to do that?

Has it also been tested on Windows2000?

We are new and totally unfamiliar with Postgresql and your assistance will
be appreciated.