Re: Whose bug is this? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Ribe
Subject Re: Whose bug is this?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Nov 18, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> AFAICT, the way this works on OS X is that
>
> (1) At the time of shared library build, you specify its eventual
> install location with "-install_name /full/path/and/filename".
>
> (2) When an executable is linked against such a library, the
> install_name is recorded in the executable (whether the library was
> found in that location or not --- this supports linking in a build
> tree).
>
> (3) At runtime, the library had better be in the declared location.
>
> So what the symptoms sound like is that you're trying to use libraries
> that were built to be in someplace other than where they are.
> "otool" might help you in figuring out their intended location.
>
> You say that the recorded install_name is just the library name without
> path --- how sure are you of that?  Because it appears to me that the
> Postgres makefiles will always specify a full path when building a shlib
> on Darwin.  Somebody would have had to hack up src/Makefile.shlib, or
> munge the libraries after the fact, to get a path-less install_name.

Basically correct. I believe it is possible to link just a file name without a path so that standard locations will
searched.It is also possible to use some notations or other like @executable/... for paths relative to an app's actual
location(to support embedding the libraries in an app bundle and avoid having to install them separately).

Possibilities:

- Forget whatever package you used. Download the source, configure & make & install the usual way to get a normal
installation.This has the advantage that it will give you an installation that everybody here understands. It has the
disadvantagethat it will only build libraries for your particular platform, PPC or x86, 32- or 64-bit. Then you have to
gothrough some gyrations to get fat binaries. (Of course, we don't know whether or not you currently have a fat build
anyway.)

- Whether you use the current package or build from source yourself, copy the static versions of the libraries in to
yourproject somewhere, and link them in. Then you have no worries about paths for dynamic linking. (You must copy them,
becausethe linker has a strong preference for dynamic libraries. If you try to link to a static library, and it finds
thedynamic library in the path, it will use that instead. So you have to get the static libs into a path where the
dynamiclibs won't be found.)

- Copy the dynamic libraries into your app bundle, and use name_tool (IIRC) to change the install paths to ones
relativeto the executable.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com