Re: automatic update or insert - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stewart Ben (RBAU/EQS4) *
Subject Re: automatic update or insert
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Currently i have implemented this as a stored procedure in the plpgsql
> language. This means that in my stored procedure i first do a
> select to
> find out if the row exists or not, then i do a insert or update
> depending if the row existed.
>
> Unfortunately, stored procedures seems awfully slow. And i need the
> application to go faster.

Do you have indexes on the columns being looked up? Make sure you create
the index then ANALYZE.

> One solution could be to implement the stored procedure in my program
> instead. I think that this will be atleast 50% faster than my stored
> procedure, so that would be ok.
>
> However, this has made me thinking. Couldn't this be done directly in
> SQL?

You could probably implement this as a trigger on the table for INSERT.
Have a squiz through the documentation on triggers.

Best regards,

Ben Stewart

--
Robert Bosch (Australia) Pty. Ltd.
Engineering Quality Services, Student Software Engineer (RBAU/EQS4)