plpgsql select into with multiple target variables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John DeSoi
Subject plpgsql select into with multiple target variables
Date
List pgsql-sql
The docs say:

The result of a SELECT command yielding multiple columns (but  only one
row) can be assigned to a record variable, row-type  variable, or list
of scalar variables. This is done by:
SELECT INTO target  select_expressions  FROM ...;
where target can be a record variable, a row  variable, or a
comma-separated list of simple variables and  record/row fields. The
select_expressions  and the remainder of the command are the same as in
regular SQL.

So, I'm trying to do the "list of scalar variables" target, but I can't
get the syntax right. Something like

SELECT into varx, vary, varz,  colx, coly, colz, FROM ....

I've tried parens and various other things but no luck.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL