Autovacuum Tuning advice

From: Plugge, Joe R.
Subject: Autovacuum Tuning advice
Date: ,
Re: Autovacuum Tuning advice  (Greg Williamson)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?  (Stef Telford, )
 Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?  (Gurjeet Singh, )
 Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?  (Andy Colson, )
  Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?  (Josh Berkus, )
  Autovacuum Tuning advice  ("Plugge, Joe R.", )
   Re: Autovacuum Tuning advice  (Scott Marlowe, )
    Re: Autovacuum Tuning advice  ("Plugge, Joe R.", )
     Re: Autovacuum Tuning advice  (Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz, )
      Re: Autovacuum Tuning advice  ("Plugge, Joe R.", )
   Re: Autovacuum Tuning advice  (Greg Williamson, )

I have a very busy system that takes about 9 million inserts per day and each record gets updated at least once after
theinsert (all for the one same table), there are other tables that get hit but not as severely.  As suspected I am
havinga problem with table bloat.  Any advice on how to be more aggressive with autovacuum?  I am using 8.4.1.  My
machinehas 4 Intel Xeon  3000 MHz Processors with 8 GB of Ram.

Currently I am using only defaults for autovac.

shared_buffers = 768MB                  # min 128kB
work_mem = 1MB                          # min 64kB
maintenance_work_mem = 384MB

# AUTOVACUUM PARAMETERS
#autovacuum = on

#log_autovacuum_min_duration = -1